The Quest Continues

While driving across the Eau Gallie Causeway to restart my quest, I was reminded of a large dragon that use to protect the southern tip of Merritt Island. That dragon has since been slain by a hurricane, but I understand that there may be a new dragon. A renewal of the dragon correlates to my revival, to restart my quest of finding the best Bloody Mary in the world. It could be served in the Holy Grail!

I had convinced my great buddy Jim Middlebrooks to start visiting some establishments with me to search for something that may not even exist. A drink so good that it would be hard to not order another....and another. So we started our quest on Friday, February 17. Actually, I told him I would drive so I picked him up in Satellite Beach at 11:30 AM.

I told him I was going to take him to Port Canaveral, but we needed to stop at the Sandbar Sports Grill in Cocoa Beach.  I usually go there for the tacos; shrimp, fish, and carne asada. The bar was not too full so we grabbed a seat and ordered two spicy Bloody Marys. Yep, we both like them spicy!
My Bloody Mary at Sandbar Sports Bar in Cocoa Beach
If you have never been to this establishment, it is a wonderful place to take visitors because it cannot be any more touristy. But locals hang out here and the food is really good. Our focus was the drink and our barmaid asked if we wanted a double. Yep, foolish on the first leg of the quest, we said yes. First thing I noted, important to me for a good Bloody Mary, was the missing celery. We did get a fresh lime and two green olives. But it was only so-so spicy. They did provide some hot sauces that are normally used for other foods.
Jim adding more spice to his Bloody Mary
 Jim noticed that it did not have any horseradish which is usually an ingredient in a spicy Bloody Mary. I told him I think the taste that was missing was the "Whats-this-here-sauce?" It was not a bad start but it definitely was not the best either. I thought the double alcohol weakened the drink from the tomato juice side...

We left after the one drink and continued our quest at the port, aka Port Canaveral. I wanted to hit Baja Chowders first but the outside bar was closed and the bar inside was packed with regulars. So we walked over to Rusty's Seafood. Upon entering, we were greeted by Rusty himself, the owner. Rusty Fischer use to run his Uncle Bernard's restaurant in Cocoa Beach after his uncle died. The place was called Bernard's Surf and was a staple in the small town, becoming a regular stop for astronauts and visiting dignitaries. Rusty opened a small oyster house on the back deck which eventually ended up at the port.
My Bloody Mary at Rusty's Seafood
Simone was our bartender and she served up a spicy drink but again no celery There were two olives and a fresh lime. This drink did have horseradish and as Jim noticed, celery seed which adds a nice taste. Almost a stick of celery, but not quite. It also had Stoli vodka. A little better than the first but we were not there. This quest could go on for years!

We then walked over to Milliken's Reef where I knew thay had a great Bloody Mary. But when we got there, the bartender Wendy said she did not have any of the good mixer left. She told us we needed to come on a Sunday morning when she makes a batch of her mixer with plenty of extras. I told her we would be back and we ordered a beer.

Jim had his own quest, to find a great conch fritter. In actuality, it was not his quest but a request from his wife Alice. She knows I eat out and she wants us to find the best conch fritters. So we ordered the conch fritters. They were good, but I know of better ones in Brevard.
The lone cruise ship at the port on Friday
As we walked back to the car, it was two o'clock and we had consumed two Bloody Marys, one cheap beer, and an order of conch fritters. Jim saw there was a public restroom so while he stopped, I took the cruise ship picture from outside the restroom.

We looked into Baja one more time and it was still crowded so we walked down to Fishlips Waterfront Bar & Grill. At least we were getting some exercise. I had been to the first floor of Fishlips before but the bar was closed. They said to head up to the second floor and that bar was open. I said now we have to do stairs. Well worth it, the bar upstairs and dining area is very nice.

Our bartender was Brenna and she served us our spicy Fishlip's Bloody Mary. Yes, a piece of celery....
My Bloody Mary at Fishlips Waterfront Bar & Grill
 Celery, a fresh lime, and two olives. Plus, the drink was pretty spicy and it tasted wonderful. Now, we are getting somewhere, is the quest over? Naw, it was great but not nirvana. Jim found his spot at the foot of Captain Morgan...
Jim with Captain Morgan
To take a break from drinking, I drove Jim out to Jetty Park where I have an annual pass. I took a few photos while we were out there. A young boy was playing with the sign marking the end of the swimming area on Cocoa Beach, They do not want people swimming next to the jetty
Boy plays with warning sign on Cocoa Beach at the Jetty
A pelican was swimming next to the pier and I caught this great photo of him eyeing me....
Pelican at Jetty Park
The last picture is of Jim standing on the fishing pier. I just wanted to prove to his wife Alice that we did more than just drink. We walked a lot....
Jim on the Jetty Park fishing Pier at Jetty Park
We had one more Bloody Mary stop. It was at the Preacher Bar on A1A in Cape Canaveral. The drink did not get a photo, but my score showed it was very similar to the one we had Rustys, but it was a dollar cheaper and in a bigger glass. I scored it the same in taste.

Jim was hungry so we stopped at Graham's Smokehouse. This place was new for me so I will have a new post for that visit.

Quest results out of 19 total Bloody Marys in my spreadsheet:

  1. Sandbar Sports Grill - currently in 14th place
  2. Rusty's Seafood - currently in 12th place
  3. Fishlips Waterfront - currently 3rd place
  4. Preachers Bar - currently in 11th place
After dinner, I took Jim back home and I crossed the Eau Galli Causeway and saw this sunset....
Sunset from Eau Gallie Causeway
I took it as a sign that my quest had just begun! Jim, until next time...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023