Photo Memory - Adult BJ with Others

Work continues on scanning photos. These are some more of me posing with other people including family, friends and drunks. These were all taken after I had moved to Florida in 1979.

The first photo is me after I ran the first and only 5K I have ever done in my life. I am not a runner. I never plan to be a runner. My room-mate at the time was Ron Cunfer (he is a runner) and his girlfriend ran also. Philine Gorin is her name and I still hear from her once in while. I do not think Philine and I did real well.
Philine & BJ after 5K run
The next picture actually hung on the wall at the place it was taken. The place was called Hubbs Pub and they had a wide variety of beers. If you drank 99 different beers in 90 days or less, you got your name on the wall. After five times, you got a bar stool with your name on it. Hubbs finally changed into Coasters which is still there, but with different owners. They are getting ready to open a second Coasters in Cocoa Beach.  My name can still be found on the wall (#3) right behind a married couple who drank themselves to death. Just Kidding! My bar stool is at home in my kitchen.

The people with me are Gaylen Drape and Michael Sonnier, both co-workers at ENSCO. I am eating a wing. I use to order the hot wings and dare the cook, Keith (Bubba), to make them hotter each time. Back then, I could eat almost anything...not anymore. They use to have live music at Hubbs. You can see the drummer  and guitar player near the front door in the background.
BJ eating wings at Hubb's Pub in Melbourne
Next photo is a ENSCO Holiday party at the Ramada Inn in Satellite Beach. The hurricanes of 2004 took the place down, but back then it was a nice place for a large party. Earl Baugh is in the Santa suit, and I was helping him to hand out gifts to our fellow employees.
Santa Earl with helper BJ
I was married in 1984 and my first Christmas with Nancy was at the Thomas Barbour house in Melbourne. That is Nancy and I in front of the tree...Hey, we were young, no money for gifts...
BJ & Nancy at Christmas 1984
Another hangout we had back in the 80s was a place called Bishop's Inn. It was a great place to play pool and Foosball and Pac-Man. A Bud long-neck was only 75 cents. Here I am with Tom Corbin, his friend Ken, and me with a nice beard.
Tom, Ken, and BJ at Bishop's Inn
Sometimes relatives would visit us in Florida. This was me with my cousin Paula and Jim. Not sure where we are but I see there is a beer. Jim now lives with his family in Palm Bay and Paula and her family live in Altus Oklahoma. Not sure what the occasion was here....
BJ, Paula and Jim
Another favorite place to go mid-week was the Hilton located on the beach in Melbourne. Every week they would have Jamaikin-me-Crazy with a live reggae band. I use to meet up with different friends and have a few beers. Here I am with Julie, the wife of ENSCO co-worker Peter Fortunato.
BJ & Julie at Beach Hilton in Melbourne
Going to the races in Daytona was also a family excursion. We went many years in a row before I stopped going because it got too expensive. In this photo we are tailgating in the morning before the race. We would get there about four hours before the race to get a good parking spot. Tailgating included food and beverages. Here we have Steve Mielke, Jim Provoncha, me, brother Tom, Buddy, Pam Lybarger and Jim's wife Janis.
Daytona 500 tail-gating
I also went skiing many times. I have shared some of those trips in previous posts. This one was spring skiing at Killington in Vermont with my brother Tom and friend Ron, who took the picture. I was showing off my Florida tan on my bare leg. It was a wonderful day! Just do not fall!
BJ and Tom spring skiing at Killington
Another kind of travel I like and the extreme opposite of skiing, is going on a cruise aboard a luxury liner. My brother Tom and I took my mom on a cruise and we had a great time. The next photo is my mom and I with our favorite bartender aboard the Big Red Boat. This cruise was to the Bahamas.
BJ, cruise bartender, Mom
The next photo is of me resting in my new Jeep while mom wakes me up. She liked to ride around in the Jeep with me. Most people did. I sold the Jeep to my nephew Brandon and he had it for many years. I like this picture....
BJ relaxing in the Jeep with my mom Stella
My parents bought a trailer in 1976. A lot of good times were held there. The next two photos are us gathered in the common area at the park. I do not remember the occasion or even what year it was. But it looks like we are having fun.

That is me in the middle with my brother Tom and his girlfriend Karen. To the left is Steve Mielke who was married at that time to my cousin Patti (with the short do). Behind me is Karen's daughter Lindsay and her friend, name long forgotten. Uncle Ken is smoking a cigarette on the right and that is Bill's head in the foreground...
Trailer park gathering
The second photo has Lindsay sticking cake into my mouth while everyone laughs. Could be my birthday I guess. Am I drinking wine? Is this another dimension?
Lindsay force feeds BJ



For a while, I volunteered my time as a youth football coach. The first time was in 1981. Clay Hatley was the head coach and Fred Arnold and I (very middle) were two of the assistants. David Pitkethly is #44 in the front row. Back then we were called the Cowboys.
Satellite Beach Cowboys
Back in the mid 1990s, Fred had started coaching again in the South Beaches Youth Football Association. The team comprised of kids from Satellite Beach, Indian Harbour Beach, Indiatlantic and Melbourne Beach.  They played teams like Titusville, Rockledge, Cocoa, Melbourne, West Melbourne, Palm Bay and Sebastian. One year he asked if I wanted to help. I said yes and did it for five years. In 1995, Fred was the head coach and I was the assistant. 
SBYFA
Of course we would have an end of the year party where we would give out trophies and certificates of participation. In 1995, we met at the Doubles in Indian Harbour Beach. It was still across the street from where it is now. In this photo is me, Coach Fred and one of the parents, Mike Williams. His son Matt was a great player and played High School football at Holy Trinity. Mike is better known as M.H.Williams, a local contractor.
BJ, Fred & Mike at the football party
In 1996, I was the head coach finally and got to be on the field during the games. We were the Mighty Mites which inlcuded ages 8 and 9, and small 10 year olds. It was tackle football. Look how the team listened to me. Too bad the parents were not so good at it....I quit after two years of being the head coach...
BJ in the huddle for South Beaches Seahawks
Traveling to Vermont has been an important part of my life. On average, I have been almost every year since I moved to Florida. In the next photo I am at Karen's house in Shoreham with my good friend Mike Rizner. Mike was running the Orwell Country Store at this time, just five minutes away. Sadly, Mike has passed away and I do miss his friendship.
Mike Rizner & BJ in Shoreham Vermont
Another family gathering at the trailer park. This time it is cousin Paula and her brother Jim, me, and Paula's son Harry. I hope that is not Harry's beer....and his cigarettes...
Paula, Jim, BJ & Harry
The last picture is me back at Coasters again with my previous boss at ENSCO, John Pitkethly. By this time, John had retired. I am suppose to meet him at Coasters this Friday. It is like nothing has changed in 35 years....
John Pitkethly and BJ at Coasters
That concludes the memories of me as an adult with others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023