Over the Top Restaurant

I realize, having taking some writing classes while at the University of Vermont, that a title is important to draw in your audience to read your story. Nowadays, this has become corrupted by electronic ads and fake news reports that tell you one thing in the title and present something less in the story. The lead-in is bigger than the story now, even on the evening news.

But I digress. I wrote on FaceBook recently and after rambling, ended by saying it was just BS from BJ. My friend Joan said I should start a new Blog named just that, "BS from BJ". But in actuality, my current Blog title is "How to fill time in retirement" and I can say honestly that creating BS is at the top of my time filling.

Back to my title, it was meant as a double entendre. First, I did find an "Over the Top" restaurant that I will review (hey, another two meaning word) below. Second, as the year 2017 has come to a close, my bucket list item to see 26 new Restaurants (one every two weeks) was completed and I actually went "over the top" of my goal. I would like to review that too.

The new restaurant is called the Rogue River Taproom and it is located along A1A in Indiatlantic. According to Chris, one of the owners, their original intent was to be primarily a taproom with some food. But the food is great and people are showing up for both food and drink. I was with my friend Mac Monroe, and that was our intent too.

When I arrived ahead of Mac, I went inside to see the hostess. She said they had no tables but there were two seats at the bar. She also warned us that the kitchen was backed up due to the large crowd on a Tuesday. If we wanted food, we should be patient. No problem. I threw in a picture of the appetizer Mac and I shared, I will let you know what it is later in the post....

Beer was we really ordered first, here is the current beer menu...
Yes, the beers are priced high, but you will notice that they are all from small breweries in Florida. No Bud or Bud Light here. They do pour 32 and 64 ounce growlers. My first choice was the "Don't Pile the Bear Blonde Ale" which when Hunter, our bartender, tried to pour and the keg blew. No backup kegs here. He suggested I try the Apeiron IPA from Ocala. It was great!

Since we had time, I figured we could peruse the menu and order an appetizer to start...

I ordered the Bacon Stuffed Devil Eggs and Hunter said they were out of eggs due to the large crowd. He suggested the Devil's On Horseback but Mac was not sure about that. We ordered the Chorizo Crusted Crab Cakes, which is what in my earlier picture. There were two and two of us. Simply delicious! I should mention that our order was originlly lost in the kitchen so that is when we first met the owner Chris. He apologized and said it would be out soon. I ordered a second beer, the Beach Hippie IPA from Deland.

This was my Ceasar salad. If you order from the  Butcher's Block, you get a choice of one side, salad, and sauce. My entree choice was the Rosemary & Thyme chicken, my side choice was the cheesy mashed potatoes and my sauce choice was the Roque River BBQ.


All very delicious and tasty. AS we were eating dinner the crowd started to slim down. I should mention they have tables inside and out. The deck was packed also. Hunter said he enjoyed talking to us and asked if we wanted any dessert. I choose the Java Blonde Pale Ale from Playalinda in Titusville. A second keg was blown. Hunter suggested the Nitro Coffee IPA from Tampa. It was great dessert/coffee ale to end the meal.

Chris, the owner came back over to talk with us as closing time approached (10 PM). We talked about the taproom and the great selection of Florida beers and the wonderful food choices. I asked Chris for a photo and he said okay...

This was my 28th place for the year 2017. I give it a four (Excellent). I know I will be back.

A few facts of the 2017 Restaurants, first a reminder of my ranks...


How the 28 new places panned out...


The type of restaurants I visited it...

It is getting hard to define a type for a lot of restaurants. Even most local Thai restaurants serve Japanese sushi too. I added the "Multi-Cuisine" type for those kind of resataurants. American is me being lazy.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and it is a good time to make plans for the new year 2018. Trying new restaurants is a fun thing to do, I give it a 4.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023