Go to NFL Game

On Saturdy as I was walking around the mall trying to satisfy my new Fitbit, I noticed I had a message on my phone.  It was from my old friend and co-worker at ENSCO, Doug Burns. He said he had an extra ticket for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers game on Sunday and would I like to go. Initially, I said I was a maybe, but when I got back home I gave him a call. He was driving, the weather would be fine (no rain), and they were playing the Detroit Lions with Satfford at QB. I said I would go.

I drove over to Doug's house and he got us to Tampa. We met up with another couple from Brevard who drove us to the game because they had a parking pass. It was a very cool day, but there was 0 percent chance of rain. We parked near Raymond James Stadium and headed to the game.


Near the parking lot was one of the biggest flags I have ever seen flying from a flagpole. I think they use it to cover the stadium at night...


Of course, there were lots of people tailgating and there were plenty of activities outside the stadium. With the Dominos Pizza App, you get a free drop of a coin through a plinko like board. I won a tee shirt with the Bucs on the front.

Doug filmed me with his phone attempting to make a field goal at the Coke tent. I missed the first two attempts but made the third. Doug will say there is no proof that I made it, but I did. Not bad for an old fart.  There was a band playing on a stage as we prepared to enter...


Our seats were in section 309 on the Buccaneers side of the field. There were a lot of Detroit Lion fans at the game. I took a wide angle view of the field before the game...


From our seats, you could see downtown Tampa off in the distance. It was a beautiful, crispy-cool day, perfect for football.


Another large flag was unfurled on the field as they introduced the Buccaneer players. I only told my dad's favorite game joke twice...How much is that corn?...It is only a Buck-an-ear!


The National Anthem was performed by a choral group...I did not see any players on their knees...


Again, a large flag was unfulred on the field, this time the US Flag...

There was a flyover by the Coast Guard, two helicopters and a very large plane...the sun affected my other photos so I got them as they were leaving...


Stafford was the starting QB for the Lions...


Jameis Winston was the starting QB for the Bucs...


Of course, there were cheerleaders during the breaks...


They were also on the big screens they have at each end of the stadium.


Stafford ready to pass while standing on the mid-field logo of the Bucs...


During the game, they announced some of the military representatives at the game. Here they stand on the Pirate Boat on the North end of the field.  The cannons go off everytime they enter the red zone, and once for each point that is scored. They are loud!


At halftime they had some youth football teams playing. These were the older kids toward the North end zone.


Looks like Mighty Mites playing in the South Endzone. I coached this age group for six years (8-10 y.o.)


During a break in the second half they did introduce the crews of the Coast Guard who flew over pre-game.


The Bucs were able to tie the score in the fourth quarter...

The Bucs’ unlikely comeback to erase a 14-point deficit in the fourth quarter was capped by the most unlikely of targets. Tampa Bay tied the game when Jameis Winston threw a 2-yard pass to 305-pound Leonard Wester, a backup lineman who lined up eligible as a "jumbo" tight end.
"We ran that play on the series before, and Coach said, ‘They didn’t even cover you, so next time, we’re going to look for you," said Wester, who had played just six offensive snaps all season before similar spot duty Sunday.
Wester had reported eligible on the previous drive when the Bucs threw a 2-yard touchdown to O.J. Howard. When they got to the 2 again, needing a touchdown to tie, Wester blocked his defensive end for a split second and then released to the end zone, catching a wide-open touchdown.
"Last time I caught a pass? I’ve never actually caught a pass," said Wester, who made the roster last year as an undrafted rookie from tiny Missouri Western. "The last time I touched the ball was eighth grade, when I played quarterback. It means a lot more in a win, but I’m thankful for the opportunity."
Winston said the Wester throw was a favorite moment in a disappointing loss.
As the game progrssed and the sun got lower in the sky, the temperature dropped almost as fast as the ball in the hands of receivers. Looking like we may go into Overtime, Winston threw an interception which allowed Stafford to get close enough for a Lions FG, winning the game in regulation. In actaulity, I was almost relieved the game ended because it was getting real cold on our side of the field. Final: Lions 24 - Bucs 21.

Thanks to Doug for thinking of me for the game. It was great day and a close game. Maybe next year!

I will end with a quote from famous Bucs coach John Mckay when asked after a loss:
What do you think of your teams execution coach?
His reply:
I'm in favor of it! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023