Anhinga Climbing Tree

On a recent visit to the Ritch Grissom Memorial Wetlands located in Viera Florida, I saw a very unusual event happen. It was an anhinga, who instead of flying to the top of a dead palm tree, climbed like a mammal. I am pretty sure the wings were wet. Like cormorants, anhinga will sit with wings spread wide to dry out their wings. I guess this particular bird wanted to be up high where there was a slight breeze.

I wished I had started my video but I started taking pictures, unsure of what was going to happen. This was totally unexpected.


Anhinga starting to climb a dead palm, using its beak for balance

The wings spread out to prevent it from slipping down the palm

A few more steps and it has almost got its beak at the top

Another step and the wings out for balance

Finally, it sticks it's beak into the top of the palm to pull itself up

The feet are close now and it makes a final surge with a small thrust from its wings

So close...

Success! I am on top!

Now let's work on drying those wings...

Damn, the sun is setting, but I have time!

The last two photos (with the car) were taken from a different vantage point after I saw it had spread its wings. I found this weird but it probably happens all the time. You have to have the patience to wait for the animals to do something interesting. Since I retired, I have the time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023