Watch an Atlas Launch

When you live on the Space Coast and you are retired, you go to see a launch when they happen. Today, an Atlas was being launched from Cape Canaveral, so I headed to my favorite spot to take photos, Jetty Park.


It isn't my favorite spot because of the views of the launch, but because there are so many other things to take pictures of while waiting for the launch. I like to talk to people, and normally, I look like I belong so people have a tendency to ask me questions about the launch. Part of my enjoyment!

I like taking pictures of birds but all my friends know that by now. I mean, look at this pelican! There are knowledge and experience that appears through the baby blue eyes.


The jetty rocks have lots of pelicans and other birds too. When I was in the Galapagos, a female Doctor from New York City asked the Ecuadorian guide "Why do you paint the rocks white?" Of course, he answered that they don't, that it was "bird dung". It seems they paint the rocks at Jetty Park too!


The third pelican from the right was stretching its big beak and throat pouch. Kind of looked like a yawn but I think it was a stretch. I like to try to get the pelicans in flight...



There also was a diving duck, I will try to identify it later...


There was lots of discussion about the Carnival cruise ship that was leaving. We wondered if it would be in the way as the launch started. It passed with 15 minutes to spare. I was out on the fishing pier that has been closed since Hurricane Irma. This is the first time I have been out on it. The fishing poles belonged to an older couple. He said he was 75 and she was 63 and she just had one of her knees replaced. They had got all the way out on the pier and realized they forgot the tackle box. He sent his wife to get it because she said she was younger and her knee felt great.


I left the pier before the launch and took this photo of the crowd on the pier and the Carnival cruise ship leaving the Port.


Usually, the rocks are clean of seaweed, but this one rock had a large patch that was almost fluorescent green. The sun was lighting up one section.


KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, Fla. — A United Launch Alliance Atlas 5 successfully launched the second in a series of next-generation weather satellites March 1, completing a refresh of the major satellites used to monitor weather for the United States.

The Atlas 5 541 rocket lifted off at 5:02 p.m. Eastern from Space Launch Complex 41 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida, after a trouble-free countdown. The payload, the Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite (GOES) S, separated from the Centaur upper stage about three and a half hours after liftoff, shortly after the completion of the stage’s third burn.

GOES-S is the second in a new generation of weather satellites built by Lockheed Martin for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. The first, GOES-R, launched in November 2016 and was subsequently renamed GOES-16. It operates from the GOES-East orbital location at 75 degrees east in geostationary orbit.

GOES-S will be renamed GOES-17 and will be located at the GOES-West location at 135 degrees west later this year, replacing the GOES-15 satellite currently operating there. It will provide coverage for the western United States and across much of the Pacific, complementing GOES-16.


Sorry, I was lazy and stole the blurb from the news. The contrail was visible for almost the whole flight.


The Atlas 5 headed out to sea in the East and became a flat trajectory.


Both during the launch, and also as the cruise ship left the port, this military helicopter stayed stationary over the Jetty Park fishing pier. You can see a guy hanging his legs out the door. I assume it is added security.


The wind shear made an "S" out of the contrail...

I knew it was going to be crowded on the road between the launch crowd and it being the normal rush hour, I decided to have dinner at the Rising Tide Tap & Table, located right at the Port. My beer was a Bell's Two Hearted and the food was the shrimp tacos. Delicious! The food was great also!


As I was leaving the restaurant, the sun was setting in the West next to the Port Canaveral Exploration Tower. A great launch and a great dinner.


It has been 4 years since my last day of work. What shall I do with my time? No, I am asking! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023