Quick Connections

I have discussed a few times my interest in connections. You can be recognizing an actor in a movie and relating back to another movie you loved and seeing this person again brings up a happy connection. Sometimes the connections are not immediately known until you do a google search, and see multiple connections to other things. I have read that aromas can bring back memories. How about a glass of chocolate milk?


I was making myself a glass the other night. Normally, I am a Nestle Quik (NesQuik)  drinker, that is what we had in our house growing up so that is the powder I keep as an adult in my cupboards. But for some reason, I bought some Hershey syrup recently. (Actually, the reason was because it was on sale.) Anyway, I was making myself a tall glass of chocolate milk and I had a vivid childhood memory flash into my head.

I remembered being with my dad, sitting at the counter of the old Park Diner located on Merchants Street in my hometown of Middlebury. It was just dad and I and I was young, maybe four or five. We were having breakfast together, for some reason dad was stuck with me. I wanted chocolate milk for breakfast and the waitress behind the counter set down a glass of milk and she started to pour this dark brown syrup into the glass. I had never seen that before and then she told me to stir it with the spoon she handed me. Instantly, the white milk turned chocolate brown. I was amazed and then I took a taste, it was soooo good.  Funny, almost 60 years later I am making some and that image flashed in my brain. What was the connection, why did this time making it  bring up that memory?

Well, I was making the chocolate milk to have as I watched some back episodes of Cosmos: Possible Worlds. This is the new Cosmos series being shown on the National Geographic channel. BTW, I have large collection of National Geographic Magazines and my Galapagos trip was with them too. But those connections will be for another time.

I am happily watching the episode "A tale of two atoms" and drinking my chocolate milk. The episode is mainly about the power stored in the interior of an atom. There were stories on the Manhattan project and the building of the atomic bomb. But then the story went to a small island in the Caribbean named Martinique. A man got in a bar fight and is thrown into a dungeon by the local police.

On May 8, 1902, the volcano Mount Pelee erupts killing all 30,000 residents of a the city of St Pierre. As they were collecting the dead they heard a scream from the dungeon where the man, named Ludger Sylbaris, had survived. That is about all the Cosmos episode talked about but I felt a connection. Something in my brain said I know this story.

If you know my blog, you know I have been writing posts about my visit to Shelburne Museum last fall. I have been sharing photos of that trip including the visit to the circus barn. Well, one photo I did not share was the following...


A circus poster, one of many on displayed, that I had taken a memory of...looking closer at the little sign on the right, it says...

Ludger  Sylbaris "Only Survivor of Mount Pelee"

Quite the connection if you ask me. I found this particular poster interesting enough to take a photo of it and six months later the story is told on the show Cosmos Possible Worlds. That is all I have. I do recommend the series if you like science shows. I think it airs on Monday evenings.

One more thing, how come Cos-mos does not rhyme?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023