Railroad Station at Shelburne

I would like to continue to discuss my tour around Shelburne Museum in Vermont last fall. On the map below, the Blue line shows my tour discussed in the first two previous posts, the Round Barn and the Circus Building. From there I headed over to the Railroad Station, marked with a Red line.. In my life, most trips I have been on have been by automobile or airplane. Trains have never been much of an option for me growing up in Vermont. But there was a time when trains were the number one choice. I still have on my bucket list to take a train through the Rockies or Europe. I may stay off the Oriental Express since someone always gets murdered in the movies.


As I left the Carousel in front of the Circus Building, I could see the train station up ahead...


The first building on the right houses some artifacts from the running of trains. The second building on the right houses a train with a passenger car, for the very wealthy. The building in the center of the photograph is an actual train station that was in use at one time.

There was an extensive display of different train lamps. I wish I knew more to share but most of them were red with a few green. I guess they were used mostly at Christmas...


The train displayed is an engine with some passenger cars. I mentioned for the wealthy because there was a bathroom, a sleeping area, a dining area, and a sitting area. I am sure the fare was quite high for all that fine luxury. There even was a bathtub...


One of the bedrooms had a sink...


The loo was located between the bedrooms with the bath, and the bedroom was large enough to have a sitting area. The faucets at the bottom are of the tub I previously showed...


There was a car where the sitting area and bunk bed were in the same area. I guess a cheaper class of room. The first photograph is of the sofa and fancy pillows where one had a window to look out. The second photograph is of a bed that cranks down for sleeping. You can see the extensive chains and it looks like it may have been motorized.



There was a large kitchen so I assumed the people were also fed in their private car or a dining car.



I have included two photos of the engine. One of the engineer's spot and one from the front end. These trains were big and look like they were very powerful. I guess in Vermont you would have to be able to climb hills.



The next stop was the train station. They had a Western Union Telegram station set up...Nice looking typewriter and an assortment of rubber stamps hanging above.


I am not sure what the sticks and string are on the left, but that is the Conductor's hat. The train I was on is out the window...


There was a timetable for the train lines. The left was for the North and East routes and the right side was the South and West routes. I cropped the photo to show more details on a small section. (I am always amazed at the resolution of photographs today.)



Another view of the room from another opening. You can see the Conductor's hat on the back of a chair in the lower left...


Leaving the railroad station you head North toward the Ticonderoga, a ship,  which I will talk about in another post. There were lots of red roses in bloom...


As I headed North, I took this photo looking back South toward the train and the station. All aboard!


I will say it again, if you get a chance to visit Shelburne Museum, do it. It is a great way to spend a day if you like museums and antiques and old trains...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023