Listen for Thunder on the Beach

Two years ago, I went to my first Thunder on Cocoa Beach. This year was the seventh annual holding of this event. Last year I tried to go but it was so crowded that I gave up trying to find a parking spot. This year, I decided to go a little earlier and, what do you know, I found a spot. It was not easy.

The traffic in Cocoa Beach is usually pretty bad, but when a big event like this is happening, it gets a little worse than normal. I think they expected 80,000 people this year. The event lasts for five days but Sunday is race day. It has become kind of the Space Coast version of Daytona's Speed week . Sunday is when our "500" is held.

I thought I would try parking near the pier again. The race starts there and heads south toward Lori Wilson Park and the boats traverse back and forth between buoys set up in the Atlantic Ocean. I like to see the boats turn, they just go really fast the rest of the time. Parking was $20 at the pier and the car line was long. I thought I may try to just park at the Publix on A1A, but there were signs mentioning that cars would be towed. Given up that idea, I got back on A1A and headed south. I only expected to stay for a few hours and did not want to pay $20.

Then I saw that Cheaters, one of the local exotic clubs, was offering $10 parking. I asked the attendant if it would be safe and he guaranteed it would be. I told him that I just hope none of my friends see my car parked at a strip club at 10:30 AM on a Sunday. It was just a block away from the pier.
Cocoa Beach Pier
The pier just got new ownership in the last year and they have made a lot of changes. Most of them for the better so I knew I could get some food and drink before the race started. I took a picture of the packed parking lot and I saw that someone had come a long way. there was a Vermont truck parked at the pier.
Vermont truck at Cocoa Beach Pier
I knew the pier would be crowded but I was by myself, I figured I could find a seat someplace. The beach was packed as far as I could see. Typical 85 degree day in Florida. Beach volleyball was in progress.
View from Cocoa Beach Pier looking South
The outside bar on the pier is long and they have added lots of tables. I saw a single opening and grabbed a seat. I took a photo from my great seat but the light was bright. At least my Goose Island IPA displayed a nice amber color. They were serving breakfast for five more minutes but I decided to get some lunch.
View from my bar stool on Cocoa Beach Pier
They had lots of seafood on the menu but I was not that hungry. I ordered the shrimp tacos with cole slaw instead of fries. The tacos were very good and gave me the energy I needed to hit the beach and listen for the Thunder. The first race was scheduled to start at noon.
Shrimp Tacos with Cole Slaw
 There were drones flying over the beach. I am not sure if this was private or part of the organizers coverage of the races. I was just curious that if it had a malfunction, how many beach-goers would it take out.
Drone over Cocoa Beach filming
 I paid my tab and I headed down to the beach, after a short restroom stop. Hey, they cleaned up the restrooms too! These people have done a wonderful job on the pier. It was near noon and I saw a boat spewing orange smoke. I figured it was one of the officials getting the first group of boats ready to start.
Official boat sending a orange plume near the start of the race.
 My vantage point was just north of the pier where the turning buoys were located. Lots of people were on the beach but there were people in the water. I was hoping they would not swim out too far. The racing boats are to the left in this photo, the boats straight out are spectators in boats east of the race. The swimmers and surfers were on the west side of the race. The pier is to the right.
Thunder on Cocoa Beach getting ready to start
 The boat with the yellow flag was the official, there were two racers behind him. The surfer was doing a great job of missing spectators.
Race is starting
 Then I took a lot of photos of boats. I will show just a few without much description....
Bandit - Thunder on Cocoa Beach

Blue Heaven - Thunder on Cocoa Beach

Footjoy and another boat

S-19 passing S-111

Cruel - Thunder on Cocoa Beach
There were using jet skis to keep the spectators back; the guy has a red helmet so he must be official. This is a boat turning around the North buoy. I am not sure what the barge and tugboat are, maybe the beer for the event.
Boat turning at North end of course with Official on Jet-Ski
 I did take some wide angle shots but usually I got people, the boats were  too small to see butt....
Spectators enjoying the boats racing by
 I did go to the south end of the pier. I like this one because it looks like the boat is closer to the pier than it is. If you would like to see more photos of racing boats, let me know.
The waters were pretty calm so they was not much danger of boats flipping. I have added a picture from two years ago when it was a little more choppy.
2014 Thunder on Cocoa Beach
I left before the first race was completed. It was hot and I knew that when this thing ended, there would be a standstill on A1A, I did not want to be part of that. No, I did not go into Cheaters!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023