Remembering Aunt Peggy

Marguerite Secoy Provoncha Holdman.  Mother, wife, sister-in-law, step-mother, and, for my whole life, simply Aunt Peggy. When I found out she had died last month, I felt very sad, and upset that I had not seen her on my last visit to Vermont in 2017. She was the last of my father's generation for his family, leaving us at 90 years old. I still have my Aunt Rae on my mother's side, who just turned 83. And there is cousin Ruth who will be 95 this October, daughter of my paternal grandmother's sister Eliza.  The more I learn about my family, the more I lose them. There are too many questions I should have asked when I was younger. Back then though, I was lacking the curiosity I have now of family affairs.

My instigator for seeing Aunt Peggy on my Vermont visits was usually my brother John, but he was having his own health issues on my last visit. It was important for me to see him, and as we all know, there is never enough time to see all the people you want to see.

A few years ago, we did meet up at my nephew Jared's home in Middlebury. The couple on the left is me with my cousin Marcia, the oldest child of Aunt Peggy. Of course, the beautiful lady on the right is Aunt Peggy receiving a hug from my brother John.  It is truly hard to believe that they both are gone from this world. Last year they were alive, and now they are not.


Spending time scanning the family photographs has allowed me to get better acquainted with my family. This photo is the day that Miss Secoy became Mrs. Maurice Provoncha.  I do not know how they met or how long they dated. I don't even know that about my parents who are on the right. How did they meet? Where was this picture taken? Why does mom have such a silly hat on? Did Aunt Peggy make her wear it? Was Harold the Best Man? Was Stella the Matron of Honor? It was so long ago, but then again, it was only just a while ago...


Uncle Moose and Aunt Peggy's first child was Marcia. I will just say she was born in 1950-something.  Here are the proud parents with their first, with three more to follow, Charles, Joseph, and Mary. It looks like they are in the front yard of their home on Seymour Street.


When it is was time for the youngest brother Kenneth in Dad's family to marry, oldest brother Maurice and middle brother Harold were there in Massachusetts. This photo is of my mom Stella, Aunt Peggy & Uncle Moose, and my dad Harold, celebrating the occasion. Look how young they were!


Maine was always a favorite family vacation spot. Our family usually ended up at York Beach and Uncle Moose & Aunt Peggy usually took their family to Old Orchards Beach. Here they are enjoying themselves at the beach.


Christmas was important to our families.  Uncle Moose spent many years dressing up as Santa Claus and giving out presents at the fountain park at the end of Merchants Row.  Mom always had to remind me not to call Santa "Uncle Moose" because the other kids did not know who it was; they thought it was Santa. I remember lots of beautifully decorated Christmas trees.  Here is Aunt Peggy looking simply splendid in a beautiful dress...


Here is Marcia with her parents in a lovely family portrait...


My parents were the first to marry and they had four kids over the period 1947-1957. Stella had one girl then three boys. Moose & Peggy had four kids over the period 1952-1957. One girl, then two boys and then another girl. Ken & Ellie had four kids over the period 1954-1961. Three girls and then one boy. This photo is the baptism photo of my cousin Patti, born in 1959. I am not positive, but I think Uncle Moose & Aunt Peggy were her Godparents.

Then, tragedy struck the family when Uncle Moose passed away in 1968. We were just kids and it was really the first death in the immediate family.  I can still remember that we got in trouble for laughing during the wake being held in Middlebury. We were cousins and just glad to have everyone together. I know Aunt Peggy struggled with her family during this trying time, dealing with almost four teenagers without a father, Mary was only 11 at this time (same as me).

But we were still family and Aunt Peggy even hosted the 50thh wedding anniversary party for my grandparents, Albia & Lois.  This photo was in the front yard at the Seymour Street house. The tall one on the right is me, right next to my Aunt Peggy.


Again, I do not know how they met, but Aunt Peggy married a wonderful man in 1972.  His name was Bill Holdman and he owned his own trucking company. Here is a photo of  Aunt Peggy with Bill at the Legion in Middlebury. I always thought they were a lovely couple. He was active with the Legion and the VFW.


They had a beautiful home on the edge of town and hoseted many Thanksgivings and other family events. I had moved to Florida in 1979, but I always felt welcomed by my Aunt Peggy & "Uncle" Bill.  Here is a photo of just one of the family get togethers at the Holdman house.


There is something about Aunts and Uncles that are special.  I think it is because they can spoil you with no major repercussions from the family.  "Where did you get that beer, BJ?" "Well Aunt Peggy gave it to me!" "Okay then!"

Two of my all-time favorite Aunts...Ellie & Peggy have a laugh together...


Although my parents had moved to Florida in 1976, that did not stop the cousins from visiting. This is a photo of Bill & Aunt Peggy with my mom Stella and her dad, my grandpa, John Shackett...




When Grandpa Provoncha died in the early 1980s, the family was there together. It is too bad that it takes a death to get people together. We need to get together more while we are alive. I am just as guilty as everyone else. Next year, later, sometime soon, some day....It is hard to believe, but seven of the people in this photo are no longer with us, Aunt Peggy being the latest to go. I hope there is cribbage in heaven!


These photos help me not to forget these people. Life continues, but for a moment, I can enjoy a memory of a good time in the past, with people I have loved.  I did not make it into the previous picture because I had a new job in Florida and no time off. I think I missed the next get together for the same reason.  My brother Tom with Aunt Peggy at a family reunion organized by my brother John. 


I end with a photo I was in, and ironically, I am the tall one on the right. I am with my brothers Tom and John.  John's two boys Israel and Jared are there too.  Izzy is with his fiance (and now wife) Kayla. In the middle is Aunt Peggy.  We are at the Fire & Ice Restaurant in Middlebury. We all have a smile because we are with family, and that warms the heart!


For Aunt Peggy, say hi to my folks!

Comments

  1. Trudi Benjamin MartinMay 28, 2018 at 5:10 AM

    Another touching blog. I so enjoy your writings. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023