Go to a Wedding in Vermont - Part I

There is nothing like a wedding in Vermont in June! It was beautiful and I personally had a wonderful time. My nephew Israel (aka Izzy), son of my brother John, was marrying Kayla Thibault. They had met at another wedding almost five years prior.

My trip began on a Wednesday afternoon. I was flying out of Melbourne to Atlanta and then a direct flight to Burlington, Vermont. My nephew Brandon (Izzy's cousin), who also lives in Melbourne, was on the same flight as I as he was going to the wedding too.  I had upgraded on the Delta flights to Delta Comfort+. It was money well spent as I got through security in the shorter line, complimentary drinks on the flight, more leg room, and Sky Priority status for boarding.

We were arriving late into Burlington so the sun was setting as we approached Burlington. I took a few pictures out of the window. The photos did not capture the beauty of the sunset, but I knew it was a sign for good things to come.
Sunset clouds from the window of my Delta flight
Since we were arriving after 10 PM, I had decided that I would just stay in Burlington for the first night. I was renting a car from Alamo and I knew that would take some time. Brandon was also renting a vehicle so we would part ways after our landing.  The good news from Alamo was they gave me a free upgrade to a mid-size car, a Toyota Camry.  The bad news was that the car was from Alberta Canada and the gauges were mostly metric. It did not take long for me to figure out after I hit 40, it seemed slower that it should be. I stopped at the Holiday Inn Express on Shelburne Road where all they had were rooms with two beds. My AAA discount took $15 off the price and I was tired so I said okay. I also knew that they had a good breakfast so I would be starting Thursday off well fed.

I had reservations to stay at the Old Lantern Inn for three nights. This was where the wedding was being held. Before stopping at the Inn in Charlotte, I planned to take a trip through my birth town of Middlebury and then visit my brother Tom at Neshobe Golf Course in Brandon, Vermont.  I visited with Rodney and Carla and saw some other friends there. I did not play but I did have a beer at the bar in the clubhouse. It was a Father's day special and was very good (and only $3).

My brother Tom took the rest of the afternoon off so we went back to Middlebury for lunch.  He said there was a new snack bar at the Middlebury College Golf course that had great hamburgers. He was right about that, sorry I ate it before I thought that I should have captured a photo. I did capture a nice picture of hole #1. Tom's son Josh (Brandon's brother) is working at the course. 
Hole #1 at Middlebury College Golf Course (Beautiful)
While eating, I got to have a chat with Neil Mackey.  He was playing in a men's league that was teeing off at 2 PM. Tom and I enjoyed the conversation with Neil and devouring the locally grown beef.  BTW, my burger was the Greek burger which included feta cheese, caramelized onions and an olive spread. After lunch we went back to Tom's house. I asked if I could stay there for Sunday and Monday and of course he said yes.

Now I was heading back to the Old Lantern Barn & Inn. The Inn, a bed and breakfast, was to be my home for the next three days and I will say it right up front, I was treated like I was home and part of the family. The place is owned by Roland and Lisa Gaujac, and they have known Izzy (or should I say Issy) since he was 16. More will be told of this relationship as I retell the story of my stay. 
Old Lantern Inn in Charlotte, Vermont
Of course, it looks just like a nice home, and basically that is what it is.  When I arrived, I rang the doorbell and there was no answer. I knocked and said "Hello" but still no answer.  It was 2 PM and I was not sure when I could check in. I expected someone to be manning the desk. As I found out, Roland was there but just not in the house at that moment. I entered the house and there was a note from Lisa. It had room assignments and a number to call. I got a hold of Lisa and she said my room was ready and feel free to go up to it.  Make myself at home is what she said.
My room for three nights

My bed at the Old Lantern Inn
As I was moving my stuff from the car to the room, Roland showed up. I asked if there was a key and he found one for me.  At this time, I did not realize how much the proprietors would become part of my wonderful memories. Roland has a nice French accent and I found that charming. I would learn later that he is from France. As you drive to the Inn, you pass the Barn. This is where the wedding and reception would be held.
Old Lantern Barn in Charlotte, Vermont
 I had time to investigate. The rehearsal was happening but the time kept being pushed back. I had nothing to do so I took some pictures of the area. I was very impressed wit the field just south of the Barn.  The only pictures I have posted so far of the wedding were taken in this field.
Field just south of the Old Lantern Barn
 I took a picture of this trellis and bushes just west of the Barn.  At the time I took the picture, I did not know it was going to be the focal point of the wedding ceremony.
Where is the Bride and Groom?
 Of course, Vermont is known for it's maple trees and the one outside the barn was impressive. It would play a vital role in the wedding.
Maple tree outside of Old Lantern Barn
Set up for the wedding and reception, which was still two days away, had begun.  They do lots of weddings at this facility. They have a bar inside the Barn but I guess that would be obvious.
The bar inside the Old Lantern Barn
The reception hall was kind of eerie. There were no table settings yet and most of the light was coming in from the barn doors being opened. Who let the cows out?
Reception Hall at the Old Lantern Barn.
This concludes Part I of my Vermont Wedding experience. I now understand the movie Wedding Crashers better. I understand the motivation. Weddings are fun, people are there to enjoy themselves. This could be a new bucket list item for me in my retirement.

Part II will be about the rehearsal. I took lots of pictures throughout the week that  I plan to share but I like to add captions first.  The problem is, I cannot remember all the names of all the people I met over the last week of joy. And I can honestly say, drinking beer does not enhance memory. I am thinking it may actually hinder it a little. But I do not remember my point...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023