Go to a retirement lunch

A thing that is almost as fun as retiring is to go to the lunches for someone else that is just retiring. Usually, there are stories of the past and people are happy to see another person reaching the goal of full retirement. I have been lucky to have retired early, and now I am having the pleasure of starting to see other friends and past coworkers retire too. Today, it was my friend Kevin, who started work a year after I did. I have known him for over 35 years. That is a long time.
Kevin at his retirement luncheon
First, Kevin isn't even his first name. His full name is Michael Kevin Atchison. His wife's name is Christine but goes by Christy. I know Kevin is from Oklahoma and I always assumed Christy was too. They ended up in Florida because of the job at ENSCO, Inc., the company I retired from over two years ago after 34 years. The Florida Division of ENSCO was working sub-contracts for the Air Force.

The Florida office was located at Shopper's World in Indian Harbour Beach when Kevin started in 1981. I have a picture of Kevin (on the right) with some fellow employees including Al Siegel, Fred Riewe, and Mike Shannon. The big building behind us was a K-Mart. Must have been some Good weather to look at on this day...
Al, Fred, Mike & Kevin at the Indian Harbour Beach office of ENSCO in 1981


The cool thing about Google Earth is that they include historical maps for a location if they have them. When we started at ENSCO, we were in Shopper's World. The K-Mart was built while we were there and so were many of the other buildings. But the building that is marked with "my office" was the back building of the original ENSCO office I started. The building toward the ocean (yes, we were on A1A and close to the Atlantic Ocean) was the offices of other ENSCO employees. We were next door to a Mexican Restaurant, A&L Travel Agency, a dinner theater called Musicana, and a favorite dive bar called Bishop's Inn.
BJ's Office when we were in Indian Harbour Beach
I have included a photo of the same location today (actually 2014 when I retired). That is my office at the entrance to Lowes. ENSCO moved to Suntree in 1986 and then again in 2001 to its current home on Wickham Road in Melbourne. Kevin survived both of those moves with the company.
Where BJ's office would be now
One of the first Holiday Parties Kevin went to was at the Racquet Ball Club in Indian Harbour Beach. It now is the Highland Mint and is actually in Melbourne. Look how young Kevin and Christy were back then.  That is Al & Patty Siegel at the table.  Al is the one who brought Kevin to Florida to work as a meteorologist.
Kevin, Christy, Patty, and Al at an ENSCO Holiday Party
In the early days, we were all young and innocent. To be honest, Kevin stayed pretty innocent his whole life. No matter what decadence Al would do, Kevin would not follow. Okay, just wanted to see if you were still reading this.
Kevin, Peter McHale, Rick Schumann, Igor Runge and Al Siegel at a shuttle launch on the KSC Causeway
So Kevin was retiring, but what I have not mentioned yet was that after 27 years with ENSCO, Kevin became working as a civilian for the Air Force. He had over 8 years at that job. Last week, that group of coworkers had a luncheon for Kevin at the Mansion in Melbourne. That was problematic for most of the ENSCO employees, so Winnie Crawford and Steve Masters (and maybe others) said we should have our own luncheon. BTW, I did go to the Mansion for Kevin's first free lunch, because I could be retired...

When Kevin started ENSCO in 1981, our Division Manager in Florida was Dr. Norm Bush. Norm then became President of the whole company for many years and has since retired in Suntree. We invited him to the lunch today, which was held at the Charlie & Jakes in Suntree. He was kind enough to come and he gave a short speech, one of the surprises for Kevin.
Norm Bush, retired President of ENSCO
I mentioned that Kevin was brought here by Al, who later became our Division Manager. Here is a picture of Al presenting Kevin with a Certificate of Appreciation for 25 years of service at ENSCO. Al was also present today!
"Michael Atchison" at 25 years with ENSCO in 2006
Here is Al, Christy, and Kevin today.....
Al Siegel, Christy & Kevin Atchison at Retirement luncheon
To help remember this day, I took pictures of almost everyone in attendance...
John Shuford, Mike VanEss, Gavin McDaniel




Steve Masters, Eloise & Randy Evans
Jeff Etrick, Nancy Provoncha, Ann Yersavich
Gaylen Drape, Sandy Mahl, Elaine & Jeff Piotrowski
Gaylen Drape
Winnie Crawford, Joe Vervier
Zaneta Gacek with Angela Plitz
Dustin Phelps
 It was a great turnout and I could see that Kevin appreciated the effort. He had left ENSCO over 8 years ago and people were very happy to help him celebrate his retirement. Kevin and Christy were at the head of the table...
Christy & Kevin and a table full of friends
 The first to speak was one of the managers from ENSCO (he was my last boss) was Joe Vervier. Joe retired from a government job and retired to Florida. he may never retire...
Joe Vervier giving a short farewell to Kevin
 Next to speak was Dr. Steve Masters, a meteorologist who worked with Kevin for many years

Steve Masters giving farewell talk for Kevin
 The next one to speak was Al Siegel, who had hired Kevin back in 1981 from Accu-weather. Al had met Kevin in Oklahoma where they both had done some met schooling.
Al Siegel reminiscing about Kevin's career at ENSCO and AFTAC
 Of course, last to speak was Kevin. He said that although December 31 was his last day of work, it just seems like he has been on extended holiday leave. I know that feeling. He has an interest in the War between the States, ancestry, and may start fishing some more than he does now. He said they have three new grandchildren to visit and have fun with.

Kevin giving his farewell speech at his luncheon
 I wanted to capture everyone in the room but I cut out Gaylen. Sorry Gaylen, you were an outlier in the room distribution. Or maybe you were just out of control...
Kevin talking to the room full of co-workers past and present
 It was a good lunch, I had the chicken with green beans and coleslaw. There were some good stories and I could feel the affection that people have for Kevin. Al said he had never heard Kevin say anything bad about anyone. To be honest, I never heard anyone say anything bad about Kevin. Good luck in your retirement!

Kevin and Christy at his Retirement lunch holding old photos.
 Someone told me today that I was the historian for ENSCO. In reality, I am the historian of my life, but ENSCO was a very large part of it. I had brought some photos I printed from our past. I included a few in this post. If you look closely, you can see that two of the pictures of Kevin & Christy in the same pose. Someday I hope to take a picture of them holding this photo.

We all walked out of the restaurant, most people had to get back to work. The government employees were off because of MLK day, a holiday for them but not ENSCO. We walked outside and Kevin was parked next to me. I told him, as we got into our vehicles, that the most important thing in retirement is to have fun. Today, I had fun!

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing BJ. Next time one of the "old timers" retires let me know. I'd love to see everyone again. Some of my fondest memories are from my 10 years at ENSCO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun to see pictures of the event and ENSCO friends and catch up on what is going on. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

VT Trip - 2023