"Dig It" (aka Books 26-30)

 I have continued my reading and should easily hit my Goodreads of 36 books for the year 2024. These latest five books brings my total to 30 books. It has been so hot and humid this summer, I find staying inside with the AC running and reading a good book is just the easy choice. Here are books 26 through 30. Right on! Can you "Dig It".

Camino Ghosts

Written By John Grisham, published in May 2024.

I bought this most recent book by Grisham at B&N after seeing it in the list for top selling books in the local paper Florida Today. Every Sunday they publish the list and I usually check it out. Camino Ghosts is the third book in a series by Grisham. It is about a small fictional Florida Island near Georgia. I have also read the previous two books. I give this one a 3.0 (Great), and I hope there will be more in the series. These books are easy summer reads.

Eruption

Written by Michael Crichton (started before he died in 2008), and James Patterson (completed from manuscript), published in June 2024.

I have read a lot of Crichton and when I saw this book at B&N, I knew I had to have it in my collection. I have never read Patterson, but he did a fine job finishing this book, it was great. Also, having spent a couple weeks in Hilo on the big island of Hawaii visiting with my sister and niece, I recognized a lot of the places that are part of the story. I give Eruption a 3.0 (Great). Other books by Crichton that I own and have read:
  • The Andromeda Strain
  • The Terminal Man
  • The Great Train Robbery
  • Sphere
  • Jurassic Park
  • Airframe
  • Prey
  • State of Fear
  • Next
  • Pirate Latitudes

In Ascension

Written by Martin MacInnes, published in April 2023.

I borrowed this book from my cousin Keith; he suggested I read it. It was a very interesting read and I give the book a 4.0 (Excellent). The story made me contemplate about connections in life and among all life on the planet Earth. You know how I love connections. It is Science Fiction and MacInnes has written other books that I will check out. He is a wonderful writer from Scotland.

The Silence

Written by Kendra Elliot, published in August 2020.


This the last book of six written by Elliot called the Callahan and McClane series. I have read all six and I give this one a 3.0 (Great). Callahan is a State Police Detective in Oregon and McClane works for the FBI in the same area. They keep working cases together and eventually fall in love. They get married at the end of this book. The Silence is an appropriate title and I will keep silent about the story line. Kendra writes easy reads. Accidently found a book at B&N by her and now she is one of my favorite quick reads. She has other series of books I plan to read.

The Book Thief

Written by Markus Zusak, published in September 2005.

Up front, I give this book a 5.0 (Memorable). The last 5.0 was David Copperfield back in 2021. Of the 296 books in my spreadsheet (there are lots more I have not added), this is only the tenth time I gave out my top score. The book is about a young girl in Nazi Germany in the 1930s and 40s. This book is written really well, but that may be the mathematician in me talking. It is logical. There are also some great imagery. Words! A theme of the book and also what makes the book worth reading. Words. I do not want to spoil the story, but I know I am going to read it again.

This was the 72nd book I have read from my Bucket List. It was not in the original 100, but there are a lot of lists that have included it. I now know why.

About Title

"Dig It" is a song by the English rock band the Beatles from their 1970 album Let It Be. The song is credited to Lennon/McCartney/Harrison/Starkey, and is one of the few songs to be credited to all of the Beatles. This song and the 39-second "Maggie Mae" appear on the Let It Be album, but are excluded from the Let It Be... Naked album, instead being replaced with "Don't Let Me Down". Glyn Johns' May 1969 version of the album, then titled Get Back, had a four-minute excerpt of "Dig It", which was later reduced to the much shorter version in the final album.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photo Memory - BJ with others

"All You Need Is Love"

"I Am the Walrus"