Death, Trucks & Guns

When I woke up this morning, I knew I had an appointment at the dentist office to get my teeth clean. Usually, that alone does not start the day off too well. I went and retrieved the morning paper and to my surprise, there were two deaths that were big news.

The first death was of Arnold Palmer, the professional golfer and humanitarian. I can still remember my dad watching golf when I was a kid. Back then, it was mostly the Palmer-Nicklaus show, and I am sure my dad would have been part of Arnie's Army. He loved to cheer him on.  I put a note on Facebook about this and saw I was not the only one sadden by this particular death.  It was hard to believe he was 87 because I always thought he did not look much different from when he was 37.

The first picture I saw was from my friend Patty. She had a great picture of her with Mr. Palmer...
Patty Sheehan with Arnold Palmer
The second picture was posted by my friend Bob Bicknell of his younger brother Rodney with Arnold Palmer.  I think this picture was taken at Bay Hill.
Rodney Bicknell with Arnold Palmer
The Bay Hill tournament won't be the same without Arnold greeting the players at the 18th hole. For you that do not know, Bay Hill is the Arnold Palmer Tournament. Players relish the chance to meet the man. RIP!

The second death notice was on the front page, the Sports page, and the USA Today section. It was Miami Marlin pitcher Jose Fernandez, who had died in a terrible boat accident in Miami. I got to see him pitch the last two spring training seasons against the Nationals. He was born in Cuba and was only 24.  The shoes may tell you something about his personality...
Jose Fernandez at Space Coast Stadium 2016
Colorful shoes are worn by Jose Fernandez of the Miami Marlins
The Marlins cancel the game on Sunday but they were playing today. Jose was scheduled to start as the pitcher today against the Mets. How sad!

My Sunday was spent doing chores and watching golf. I did run over to downtown Eau Gallie for the food trucks.  They are there the fourth Sunday of each month. I was in the mood for some Cajun food...
The Voodoo Kitchen





Other trucks on Highland Avenue in Eau Gallie
Need to try this one, first time I had seen it


The Voodoo Kitchen has a good sampler.  I got some Etouffee, Gumbo, and Jambalaya. There were crawfish and chicken and andouille sausage and it was tasty...

As I said, I had a teeth cleaning today but the appt was at 1 PM. I skipped lunch so I would not create more work for my hygienist Pat. I am not the guy that eats Oreo cookies before he goes in....

So my cleaning ended at 2 PM and I still needed lunch.  I started to head home but realized there was not much there to eat so I continued down US 1 and stopped at the Double Tap Grill.
Front entrance to the Double Tapp Grill
It is part of the Frogbones Family Shooting Center.  I knew that they had a restaurant and I had never been to it before. Of course, there were only four other people there having lunch or a drink.
Menu at Double Tapp Grill in Melbourne
The menu has lots of sandwiches, baskets, salads, and wraps plus some starters. There are lots of tables and a curvy bar. there were six taps of beer plus they had a list of bottles of beers and wines.
Behind the bar at Double Tapp Grill
I wanted a beer to start so I went for the Shock Top.  Looks good, doesn't it?  BTW, I was talking to some friends about having a bar on a gun range seemed kind of weird. Well, if you order a beer, they mark your hand with an invisible pen so that if you go to the gun range, they will not let you shoot.  She asked if I was going to shoot before serving me the beer.
Shock Top 
 For food, I ordered the Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu.  This sandwich was a grilled chicken breast with ham, melted Swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato and onion.  The side was a choice of French fries or potato salad. I went for the salad.  Onion rings could be substituted for a small fee.
Grilled Chicken Cordon-Bleu sandwich with potato Salad at Double Tapp Grill
The sandwich was very good, I almost asked for some mayo but decided it was tasty (and juicy) enough without the extra fat.  I really loved the potato salad. It was made with red potatoes and red onions with some celery, mayo and some herbs. I believe dill was a flavor that made it scrumptious.  I give the place a 3 (great) and know it is a place I can get a good lunch.  I did not make it to the gun range or gun store, that may be a future adventure.

Life for me, goes on....I feel lucky!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023