Reminisce - First Ski Trip Out West

I just scanned in some photos I took on my first ski trip "Out West."  Our destination was Breckenridge in Colorado, name of the town and the ski area.  My brother Tom flew out from Vermont and met us at Denver. I was flying with my co-worker Al Siegel. He had a friend Bill from the Mid-west who was going to meet us there too.  I have forgotten Bill's last name, but the four of us were going to share a condo for a week of skiing.

My first memory is watching the moon rise over the mountains on a beautiful crisp winter day.
Moon rise at Breckenridge Colorado
My only skiing experiences had been in Vermont, and most of that was at the Middlebury College Snow Bowl.  If you learn how to ski in Vermont, you can probably ski anywhere.  The Rockies were a little bigger than what I was use to and I was looking forward to try out the snow.
View of Breckenridge from our Condo
The year was 1987, and it was January. I had never been to the Rockies and I had always assumed that Denver, being known as the mile high city, was deep into these mountains. Upon landing at the Denver Airport, at this time still closer to downtown, you quickly realize that Denver is at the edge of the plains. Who knew? The excitement to get on the slopes was great! I caught this photo of Tom with Peak 8 in the background....it was beautiful!
Tom on the slope at Breckenridge
Tom had continued skiing in Vermont, but I had moved to Florida and there ain't much skiing down here. My last time really skiing was in high school.  I went a few times in college but I could not afford it. I had always gotten a complimentary season pass from the Bowl because dad worked every weekend in the snack bar. You may remember the days of Dad, Fred Oney, and Charlie Boardman on the grills and Beverly DeGray on the cash register.

So after ten years, I found that the blue runs (Intermediate) of Colorado were heaven on snow. Tom and I glided down the slopes as can be seen in the next two pictures...
Tom carving a turn at Breckenridge
BJ gliding down Peak 10
It wasn't long before Tom and I headed to the black diamond runs (Expert) and the upper mountain.

Tom on Peak 9 above "The Overlook" restaurant at Breckenridge
Tom and I were loving it but found out not everyone was enjoying the conditions. It was cold and some of the trails had gotten a little crispy, but people were calling it icy. Apparently these people had never skied in Vermont, where we go down all conditions. We were zooming down a black slope that had crispy moguls. The snow was easy to turn in so we were having fun. A ski patrol stopped by and asked if we were from out East. We said yes, how did he know?  He said the locals can't ski in these conditions so he just knew we were from out of town. I am not sure, but I think he was either from Vermont or Maine. If this was bad conditions, I do not think I could stand it when it is good or excellent.
Peak 8 chairlift from Chairlift on Peak 9 at Breckenridge
If you have never been there, Breckenridge is a large ski area.  Tom and I were not hitting the same slope twice.  But I noticed that I did not have any pictures of my friend Al and his friend Bill.  I know Al is a pretty good skier, but I do not remember how good he was back then. I am not sure he was ready for some of the Double-Diamond runs (Experts Only) that Tom and I were trying. Two trails I remember are Mine Shaft and Devil's Crotch.  They were steep! I was amazed how fast I resumed my skiing abilities. You do not forget.
Tom on slope with town of Breckenridge below
If you look at the mountain line above Tom's head, you can see the ski area Keystone, another ski resort in the Summit County area. Others include Copper Mountain and Arapahoe Basin.  Vail is not too far away on Interstate 70.
Tom pointing with the town of Breckenridge below
I know we had some great skiing. I do not remember it snowing while we there, but that was probably a good thing. I do not think I could have been able to leave the place and head back to Florida with new powder. I did get a picture of the outdoor skating rink in town and the condo we stayed in....
Breckenridge Skating Pond
Breckenridge Condo we stayed at (Tom on right)
My memories of this trip is pleasant.  Having the photos helps keep the memories alive. It has been a while since I went skiing, but I am sure I have not forgot how...I guess I have the time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023