Lunch with Kathi & Bob Thieme

It was not just a lunch with some old co-workers.  It was lunch with lots of old friends and current ENSCO employees.  The location was River Rocks which has a Rockledge mailing address, but everyone assumes it is in Suntree on US 1.
Sign on US 1 for lunch location
Being retired, I was a little early. We retired folks get excited when we have something extra-ordinary to do. Lunch with other people! Yippee!  The first person I saw was Maria, she was the organizer of the lunch and the person I had asked for permission to attend.  She was bringing the cake (ENSCO loves to have cakes) which was being carried by Bill, someone I did not know. Two and a half years since I left and the whole company has changed. Remember, I spent 34 years working at ENSCO.
Cake for the lunch at River Rocks
I did get a picture of Maria taking a picture of us.  She is real good at documenting these events...
Maria taking my picture at River Rocks
Bob Thieme started at ENSCO in 1985 when the company was still located on the beach side in Indian Harbour Beach.  We talked about our time in Shopper's World.  He had been in the Air Force and had been working with ENSCO personnel for longer than his 31 years at the company. I think Kathi, his wife, said she was with ENSCO 12 years. I mistakenly thought this was their retirement, but it really is a semi-retirement. They are moving to the San Diego California area.
Gavin talking with Kathi & Bob at River Rocks
We were there for lunch and then cake and speeches. Our table were the first one to be served. The following pictures is the company I had for lunch on this lovely occasion...
Joe, Nancie & Nancy enjoy their lunches at River Rocks.
 I had ordered a Beck's Oktoberfest beer. I was the only one drinking since everyone else had to go back to work. I got some kidding because only a retired person can do that.
Nancy (again), Dawn & Mike digging in at River Rocks.
My meal was a Caribbean Salad with jerked chicken at River Rocks
 Lunch was very good. We were located in the back room, the same place ENSCO had their Holiday Party in January. I think I was at the same table.
Gavin, Gaylen, & Stephan sucking an iced tea
 After lunch, Joe got up and gave a nice speech for Bob & Kathi.  Thanking them for their service and how they will be missed.  Through the years, Bob worked with me on some projects.  He use to make model runs for me to help create a large data set called MRF. He was very efficient and easy to work with. Whatever project he was put on he would do his best. I know he will be missed!
Joe Vervier giving his regards to Bob & Kathi
Everyone listening intently to Joe talk, except Kevin playing games on his phone
 As part of the leaving of ENSCO with many years of service, they present you with a crystal replica of the ENSCO logo with your name and years of service.  I was very proud to receive mine, and I was very happy for Bob to receive his.  Great job Bob!
Joe presenting Bob with his ENSCO crystal
 Kathi received some beautiful flowers. Kathi had mostly administrative and security duties, but because of that she got to deal with every employee in the Melbourne office.
Kathi receiving flowers from Joe with Bob watching on
 I had to use a flash to get the good picture because the bright Florida sunshine was beaming in to my camera sensors. I do not use it often (the flash) but it does work...
Kathi & Bob Thieme with Joe Vervier
 A few people talked after Joe was finished.  Dawn had some kind words and I think Gavin spoke up.  He is usually so quiet....just kidding!

Then Kathi got her turn.  I could see that the tears were welling but she truly did have a relationship with everyone in the room. I know from my experience working with her. Although her speech was short, you could see it was from her heart....
Kathi giving a short speech to say good-bye
 And then it was Bob's turn.  Bob has always been a quiet person. It was wonderful to see him handle the situation so well. His speech was great but the amazing thing was he did not drop the crystal!
Bob giving his speech to say good-bye
 Then it was time for cake. The person (or in this case people) being the center of attention gets to pick which kind of cake they want.  Kathi chose a simple white cake with minimal frosting.  It kind of reminded me of Bob & Kathi.  They too are simple people with minimal "frosting". But they played an important part of a lot of people's lives....
My slice of cake, turned by Dawn to show off the frosting
I did get to chat with a bunch of people. Although I do not miss the work yet, I always miss the wonderful people I had the privilege of working with through the years at ENSCO.  I was showing off my camera to Winnie and took this photo of Jeff from above. Appropriately, Kathi and Bob are in the background, packing up for the last time....
Jeff from above at River Rocks

Comments

  1. Nice post BJ. I remember Bob from when I worked at ENSCO. Back in those days we could have a drink or two at lunch and go back to work. Rick Schumann

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023